On 4 February 2021, the British Council hosted the A.R.C. Challenge Malaysia Forum — Youth, Climate Change and Cultural Rights, which featured a diverse panel of youth leaders from the arts, science and education sectors in Malaysia and the UK. The forum explored the fears and aspirations of young people on climate change issues, especially about the access to and impact on cultural rights.
During the forum, successful applicants of the A.R.C. Challenge Malaysia Grant — in response to Climate Change and COP26 were also announced. The three winning projects received grants of up to £10,000 each to kick-start joint UK-Malaysia responses to a shared climate change challenge cutting across disciplines and involving young people aged 18–35.
On 25 March 2021, the British Council in collaboration with Asian Venture Philantrophy Network (AVPN) organised the A.R.C. Challenge Malaysia Pitching Session. The event provided a platform for the three grantees to pitch to a panel and audience of experts and funders in an effort to bring the project teams added support in delivery, scalability and potentially, further funding and collaboration.
About Asian Venture Philanthropy Network (AVPN)
As the only comprehensive funders' network in Asia, AVPN is a leading ecosystem builder for the social investment sector with 600+ members globally. AVPN’s mission is to catalyse the movement toward a more strategic, collaborative and outcome focused approach to social investing, ensuring that resources are deployed as effectively as possible to address key social challenges facing Asia today and in the future.
- To raise project awareness among a targeted audience and a panel of experts, potential funders and collaborators.
- For the three grantees to gain feedback that can be applied to their projects.
- For the three grantees to connect with potential partners, collaborators and sponsors for enhanced impact, scalability and funding.
- Florence Lambert, Head of Arts & Creative Industries, British Council Malaysia
- Malcolm Spence, Investment Director, Global Innovation Fund
- Matteo Chiampo, Technical Director, SECONDMUSE
- Romy Cahyadi, Co-Founder & Chief Executive Officer, Instellar
- Dr Hjh Yatela Zainal Abidin, Chief Executive Officer, Yayasan Sime Darby
- Zainariah Johari, Lead of Arts, Culture and Public Spaces, Yayasan Hasanah