We build connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language.
We have been in Malaysia for over 70 years since 1948.
“British Committee for Relations with Other Countries” was established. The word “Committee” was replaced with “Council” in the same year.
Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office abbreviated the title to “The British Council”
Kuala Lumpur office was established and the British Council was first opened to the public. The British Council established a representation for South East Asia, centred in Singapore, in 1947, which directed activities in the Malayan Union, British North Borneo and Sarawak. In 1948 an office for Malaya was established in Kuala Lumpur; in September 1952 Malaya became a separate representation with R.K. Brady as the first representative, and a regional directorate was established in Penang. A representation for North Borneo was established in July 1961.
On 31 August 1963 Malaya, Sabah, Sarawak and Singapore combined to form Malaysia. The representations in Singapore, Sarawak and North Borneo became regional offices, with the national centre in Kuala Lumpur. Singapore was expelled from Malaysia in 1965.
We opened in Kuching.
We opened in Penang.
We moved to Jalan Bukit Aman, on a piece of land granted to us by the Sultan of Selangor. Our office was officially opened by Malaysia’s First Prime Minister, Tunku Abdul Rahman, in the presence of the Sultan of Selangor on 16 May 1956.
We opened in Kota Kinabalu.
We opened the British Council Teaching Centre in Kuala Lumpur.
Our office in Bukit Aman, and our Teaching Centre in Wisma Hang Sam, merged and moved to our current premises at Wisma Golden Eagle Realty, Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur.
We began opening our Kuala Lumpur centre seven days a week.
We started the English Language Teacher Development Project in East Malaysia, under contract from the Ministry of Education, to provide mentoring and support to Malaysian Primary teachers of English.
We started the Professional Upskilling of English Teachers project, under contract from the Ministry of Education, to improve language proficiency and classroom methodology for Malaysian teachers of English.
We opened in Mutiara Damansara.
We celebrated 70 years in Malaysia.