When outstanding individuals receive a world-class education in the UK, the effects can last a lifetime. The Alumni Awards shine a light on the impact that alumni of UK higher education institutions are making in their chosen field, and how this was sparked by their studies in the UK. The British Council has launched the eighth year of a prestigious award celebrating the outstanding achievements of the UK’s international alumni around the world.
The Study UK Alumni Awards are open to alumni living anywhere outside of the UK. Award winners and finalists are leaders in their fields who have used their experience of studying at a UK university to make a positive contribution to their communities, industries and countries. The Study UK Alumni Awards celebrate and showcase the impact and value of a UK higher education and raise the international profile of UK alumni and their former universities.
The awards are open to alumni currently residing in any country outside the UK, who have either studied in the UK, at an officially recognised provider of UK university degree level study for a minimum of a term or semester, or who have been awarded a full UK degree level qualification (or higher), by a UK university through a local institution overseas, within the last 15 years.
There are four award categories:
- Science and Sustainability Award recognising alumni who have distinguished themselves through their career and achievements in the world of science and sustainability, and who can demonstrate the impact and scale of their achievements in their profession, and beyond. Areas of work could include: Climate action, clean energy, medicine, sustainable cities and communities, engineering, industry and construction.
- Culture and Creativity Award recognising alumni who have carved a career for themselves in arts and culture. We are looking for individuals who can demonstrate their artistic ingenuity, influence and creativity. Areas of work could include: Arts, design, media, video, TV, music, bloggers, vloggers, Youtubers and the humanities.
- Social Action Award recognising alumni who have made an exceptional contribution and commitment to creating positive social change and improving the lives of others. Areas of work could include: Reducing inequality, poverty and hunger. Education and upskilling. Peace and justice.
- Business and Innovation Award recognising alumni who are active in initiating and contributing to innovative or creative new ideas, solutions or business opportunities, that have the potential for growth. Areas of work could include: Entrepreneurship, business, technology.
Have you studied in the UK and have gone on to achieve exceptional success? If so, apply for one of the Awards. Application open from 1 September 2021!
What makes a great application? Find out our top tips on the Study UK Alumni Awards website.
Some of the benefits of winning a prestigious Alumni Award:
- Raise your international profile through global press and digital coverage
- Build your professional networks and business connections
- Win a professional networking visit to the UK
|1 September 2021||Applications open for all countries|
|29 October 2021||Applications close at 23.59 (GMT)|
|November 2021||Shortlisting of applications|
|November to December 2021||Announcement of finalists|
|December 2021/January 2022||National Alumni Award ceremony (subjected to Movement Control Order regulation)|
|March to August 2022||Global Alumni Awards finalists announced and celebrated via social media|
|September 2022||Global Alumni Awards finalists announced|
The finalists and winners of the global Alumni Awards will be announced in 2022 and celebrated in a digital campaign that will raise the profile of their story and success. Award winners have the opportunity to raise their international profile, expand their professional networks, and to enhance their careers, through a professional networking visit to the UK (subject to global Covid-19 situation).
British Council will organise ‘How to apply’ webinars for those who are interested to learn more about the application process.