The deadline to apply for this opportunity has now passed. We are no longer accepting applications.
As part of its Global Social Enterprise Programme, the British Council is developing a series of baseline surveys of social enterprises. The first study explored the social enterprise sectors in Bangladesh, Ghana, India and Pakistan and the findings were published in October 2016. Since then reports on Kenya, Ethiopia and the Philippines have been published. The reports can be downloaded from the British Council website.
The objective of the baseline study is to provide a summary of the current size and scale of the social enterprise sector in Malaysia in order to be able to evaluate the future impact of the British Council’s social enterprise programme and to be able to track how the sector develops in the coming years. This survey will, in part, be an update to and expansion in scope of the Malaysian Global Innovation and Creativity Centre (MaGIC)’s State of Social Enterprise in Malaysia 2014/2015.
In addition, this study aims to make an important contribution to the development of social enterprise globally, as it will allow for other actors to assess the progress and identify possible entry points for supporting growth or for participating in the sector.
The British Council is seeking consultancy services to conduct a baseline survey of the social enterprise sector in Malaysia. The Contract awarded to the consultant will be for the duration of six months.
Having already completed seven social enterprise surveys, the methodology and survey tools for the project have already been developed. The following data are essential for the survey:
- The total value of the social enterprise sector
- The total number of social enterprises
- The average annual turnover for social enterprises
- The average number of employees
- Total number of social enterprises that have increased the number of beneficiaries reached over the last year
- Total number of new employees of social enterprises in the last year
- The proportion of social enterprise employees who are women
- Total number of youth-led (under 35) social enterprises
- Total number of women-led social enterprises
- Breakdown of social enterprise by sector/focus
- The number of Higher Education Institutions delivering social enterprise related courses
The following data are desirable:
- The number of national/regional/state/institutional policy and/or practice that supports social enterprises e.g.: number of new national/regional institutions/partnerships whose purpose is to support social enterprise
- The number of changes to national/regional/state/institutional policy and/or practice that supports social enterprises e.g.: number of changes to policy/practice of pre-existing institutions/partnerships whose purpose is to support social enterprise
For further information on the project and/or report, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.