School Lab Malaysia 2017 is targeted at lower secondary school students (Form 1-3) under the purview of the Ministry of Education Malaysia. This science communication competition is a collaboration between British Council Malaysia, Ministry of Education Malaysia, Malaysian Industry-Government Group for High Technology (MIGHT) and Petrosains.
School Lab Malaysia 2017 received over 1,200 video entries from all over Malaysia.
The School Lab 2017 Top 5 finalists were:
- The Three Scientists from SMK SANZAC (Sabah) - Winner
- Team C.I.D. from SMK Batu Lintang (Sarawak) - First Runner-up
- Professor Joseph and the Cavemen from SMK Hamid Khan (Penang) - Second Runner-up
- The Smarties from SMK Raja Muda Musa (Selangor) - Third Runner-up
- Iskandarian Science Team from SMK Iskandar Shah (Melaka) - Fourth Runner-up
In preparation for the final, these teams received mentoring by FameLab Malaysia alumni and attended a Science Communication Workshop delivered by Dr Abhimanyu Veerakumarasivam, geneticist and FameLab International Champion 2016.
The final event was held on 6 May 2017 at the Gardens Theatre, Kuala Lumpur.
Congratulations to The Three Scientists on winning the School Lab Malaysia 2017 competition!
Watch the full recording of the final event below:
Part 1 (Welcome speeches, School Lab - ‘Iskandarian Science Team’ & ‘The Three Scientists’ presentations)
Part 2 (School Lab – ‘Professor Joseph and the Cavemen’ presentation)
Part 3 (School Lab – ‘Team C.I.D.’ & ‘The Smarties’ presentations)
Part 4 (FameLab & Prize Giving ceremony)