Please make sure that you have completed the following checks before departure, as per British Council requirements:
- DBS check: All staff, regardless of whether they've spent time in the UK, will need to complete a DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service check (previously CRB, or Criminal Records Bureau check). This is a UK-based check that we need you to have as you will be working with/have access to Young Learners. The check itself is fairly simple. We will send you a username and password so that you can complete an on-line form. During the induction, we will validate your details (address, etc) against your original documents and complete the process (for returning mentors, we will be in touch about the process for you as your previous CRB or DBS may still be valid and you may need to provide a Malaysian certificate of good conduct - TBC).
- Pre-employment medical check: This check can be done by your GP. If you're already away from home else, this check should be done by an English-speaking doctor. Surgeries normally charge for this service. You can pay for the check and then be refunded when you get to post (keep hold of your receipt).
- References (not applicable for returning mentors): Those of you that have been recruited from outside of The British Council provided us with references on your application form when you applied. We will now start to request references for those people listed at the end of your application. Should any of their contact details have changed since you applied, please let us know.
- Vaccinations: Please check what you need to get before you come - contact your GP for information. The Scottish NHS has a useful website called Fit for Travel that many British doctors and travel nurses use - this could be a good starting point, but please contact a medical professional for more detailed information. The project does not refund the cost of vaccinations for rabies or malaria prophylactics. The project will reimburse the cost of vaccinations for Japanese Encephalitis for those mentors stationed in Sarawak.
- 'Pre-Arrival' Form (not applicable for returning mentors). Please make sure you have returned the 'Pre-arrival form' as soon as you have completed it. This will help us to assign you to a suitable cluster.