If you are looking for an internationally-recognised qualification in English language teaching, this is the course for you. CELTA is aimed at those with little or no previous teaching experience.
CELTA Part time and Full time
What are the benefits?
International recognition and quality assurance
CELTA is one of the most widely-recognised and highly respected qualifications for English language teaching. It is awarded by University of Cambridge ESOL, which ensures quality. Its international reputation also increases opportunities to teach both in Malaysia and overseas.
Gain knowledge and practical teaching skills
The CELTA course at the British Council is a highly practical course which will help you develop confidence in the classroom. You will find out about the latest communicative teaching methodologies and have the opportunity to put these into practice in the classroom with real students.
Learn in a supportive environment
The British Council has a worldwide reputation for excellence and our experienced and dedicated teacher trainers will support and guide you to develop as a confident and professional teacher of English.
How is it delivered?
On the CELTA course you will:
- attend input sessions covering all aspects of teaching English as a second language
- benefit from directed lesson planning & tutorial support
- complete six hours of assessed teaching practice
- get constructive feedback on your teaching practice from your tutors and peers
- complete four assessed assignments (750-1000 words each)
- have the opportunity to observe experienced ELT professionals (six hours in total).
Calendar and pricing
CELTA is available at the Kuala Lumpur centre.
Course Fee is RM 9,275
Part-time (Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9.30 - 18.00)
- Tuesday 12 January to Thursday 24 March 2016
- Tuesday 5 April to Thursday 9 June 2016
- Tuesday 4 October to Thursday 8 December 2016
- Monday 18 July to Friday 12 August 2016
- Thursday 1 September to Friday 30 September 2016
- be at least 18 (it is generally recommended that candidates should be over the age of 20)
- have an awareness of language and a competence in both written and spoken English, which will enable them to undertake the course and prepare for teaching a range of levels (The recommended candidate language level is C2 on the CEFR)
- have the potential to develop the necessary skills to become an effective teacher and to complete the written assignments and practice teaching successfully
- normally have a standard of education equivalent to that required for entry to higher education.
How to apply
You will be required to complete an application form and pre-interview language analysis task prior to being interviewed for a place on the CELTA course (see below).
Step 1 Download the application form and the application task.
Step 2 After you have completed the application form and application task please send them to us by e-mail, fax or post.
It is preferable to email rather than hand deliver your application.
Please do not scan your application documents using your telephone as these are of very poor quality and difficult to read.
Fax: (03) 2713 6599
Teacher Education Unit
Ground Floor, West Block
Wisma Selangor Dredging
142C Jalan Ampang
50450 Kuala Lumpur
Step 3 If your application has been successful, you will be interviewed at the Kuala Lumpur Teaching Centre on Jalan Ampang by one of the CELTA trainers, either in person or by telephone (for those who are out of town/ overseas).
Step 4 If your interview is successful, you will be offered a place on the course. To secure your place on the course, you will be asked to pay a deposit. The balance is due before the start of the course.