School Lab aims to help students understand and appreciate the exciting challenges of science, develop critical and creative thinking skills, as well as gaining the confidence and skills required to present and demonstrate their understanding of scientific concepts.
School Lab Malaysia 2017 is targeted at lower secondary school students (Form 1-3) under the purview of the Ministry of Education Malaysia. This competition is a collaboration between British Council Malaysia, Ministry of Education Malaysia, Malaysian Industry-Government Group for High Technology (MIGHT) and Petrosains.
This year the competition garners almost 1200 video entries from all over Malaysia. Five teams have been selected as national finalists:
- Team C.I.D. from SMK Batu Lintang (Sarawak)
- Professor Joseph and the Cavemen from SMK Hamid Khan (Penang)
- The Smarties from SMK Raja Muda Musa (Selangor)
- Iskandarian Science Team from SMK Iskandar Shah (Malacca)
- The Three Scientists from SMK SANZAC (Sabah)
In preparation for the final, these teams will receive mentoring by FameLab Malaysia finalists and attend a Science Communication Workshop on 5 May 2017. The finals will be held on 6 May 2017 in Kuala Lumpur.