Our UK – Malaysia University Consortium, launched in 2022, brings together all 20 of Malaysia’s public universities and 16 UK higher education institutions. Its purpose is to greatly expand the scale, scope and pace of long-term international higher education engagement and collaboration between the two countries, and with partners in the wider ASEAN network and beyond.
Part of our world-wide Going Global Partnerships programme, this flagship initiative has been set up by the British Council in Malaysia working in cooperation with Malaysia’s Ministry of Higher Education.
By working together, UK and Malaysia partners will:
- embrace projects that expand higher education capacity, quality, mobility and employability
- promote more inclusive and equal access to higher education
- tap the potential for outstanding advances in research, finding solutions to the critical global challenges of our age, such as climate change, healthcare and food poverty
- drive greater innovation and quality in teaching and delivery
- advance progress towards shared Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- strengthen perceptions of the Malaysia and the UK as international centres of higher education excellence and progress, enabling them to better compete for new collaborative initiatives and resources
- develop a fresh, intense and sustainable programme of international collaborative excellence
- support partnerships that focus on desired outcomes set out in the higher education strategies of the UK and Malaysia
The UK - Malaysia University Consortium is in lockstep with the Malaysian Government’s ambition to upscale the international performance and relevance of its higher education system, making it more globally competitive and adaptive to the demand for diverse and flexible delivery, particularly in the context of rapid technological change, increased digitalisation and a global Covid-19 pandemic.
Like the UK, Malaysia sees sustainable international partnership as the best way to hasten advances in quality, research innovation and capacity. It seeks to create talented, resilient and entrepreneurial graduates who are employable, open to diverse international perspectives and who take ownership of the future of their own country within the wider world.
- Malaysian Higher Education Blueprint 2015-2025
- UK International Education Strategy