You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service, or at one of our offices or with one of our authorised IELTS agents.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1. Read the IELTS General Information
Download and read the IELTS General Information which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2. Decide which version of the test is right for you
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3. Check the IELTS test dates register
You can register through any of our four British Council IELTS Test Centres or you can register through one of our British Council authorised agents.
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register two months before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. Find out more about test dates and venues.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day.
4. Register online
Use our Online Registration System to book your place on the test.
Please ensure you are able to provide the documents in step 5 and are able to pay using one of the payment methods in step 6.
5. Prepare and send your documents
Please make sure you send us ALL of the following documents when you register for your test:
- Two recent photos (passport size) that should:
- be in colour
- be identical
- be no more than 6 months old
- be taken against a plain background
- be close-up of head and shoulders
- show the candidate looking straight at the camera
- show the candidate with mouth closed
- show the candidate with open eyes and without glasses
2. Photocopy of your NRIC if you are Malaysian or your passport if you are not Malaysian
6. Choose your payment options
The cost of sitting a test is RM610.00. You can pay for your test in one of the following ways:
- Online through the Online Registration System
- With a cheque made payable to 'British Council'
- In person at the British Council reception desk. The following centres accept the following modes of payment:
Kuala Lumpur & Penang Centres:
Bank: Citibank Bank Swift Code: CITIMYKL Account Number: 0-115889-028
Cash Deposit must be made through the Citibank counter and not via the cash machine (ATM Machine). If you wish to pay by cheque deposit, you may drop the cheque into the corporate box at Citibank.
Bank: HSBC Bank Swift Code: HBMB MYKL Account Number: 392-858502-001
Payment can only be made by cheque, bank draft or credit card only.
- Payment by cheque is acceptable only for test dates of two weeks or more from the date of registration.
- For payment made by bank transfer and cash/cheque deposit, please scan a copy of the bank-in slip and email it to the test centre you have registered with. The email addresses of our test centres are below:
Kuala Lumpur - email@example.com
Penang - firstname.lastname@example.org
Sarawak - email@example.com
Sabah - firstname.lastname@example.org
7. After your Registration
- Those registering online will receive an email containing access details to our free online preparation course - Road to IELTS
- Those registering in person will receive a confirmation receipt and Road to IELTS access details.
Copies of your results
If you would like your results to be sent to universities or other educational institutions, please enter the relevant addresses in the appropriate fields on the online registration form. We can issue a maximum of five copies per student.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
If you want to request a refund, please read our refund policy prior to making a request.
If you want to do this, please complete and submit a request for refund form along with the supporting evidence. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five calendar days after the test date.
Test day transfers
If you want to transfer to a different test date, you need to notify us at least five weeks prior to the test date you have registered for. To do this, please complete and submit a Request for Transfer Form.